Rewarding Open Source Innovations for Health
biotechin.asia and Croeni Foundation announce the launch of the “BIO-IDEATE-DIY Asian Biohack Award”. This award entitles biohackers with cash awards and enables them to create open source innovations for health. DIY Biotech for millions in low income and developing countries.
This award is exclusively by and for Asia. This biohack competition is specifically for residents of the Asian continent and meant for innovations that seek to address Asia’s unique problems.
Problems Like What?
- The potential to analyse genes and bacteria at home, identify threats and opportunities to one’s health.
- Possibly produce drugs that hold the promise of revolutionizing personalized healthcare for greater self-autonomy with increased life expectancy.
- Analysis of biomarkers for actionable home-based therapy:
- Home-based biomarker analysis: could save lives, and motivate;
- Prevention via (a) commercial drugs or (b) homemade ones
What Is the Prize?
There are three prizes available:
- 1st place: SGD2,500
- 2nd place: SGD1,500
- 3rd place: SGD1,000
Who Can Apply?
- Biohackers, tinkerers, DIY enthusiasts and everyone else passionate about biotechnology and creating an impact using biotechnology.
- MUST be residing in an Asian country at the time of application.
Who Is Eligible?
- ONLY participants residing in Asia at the time of application are eligible.
- The team can be of 1 – 4 members.
- Should be a member of biotechin.asia community. Visit biotechin.asia to join or click here.
How Will the Submissions Be Judged?
- Diagnosis or Prevention or Cure of major killers worldwide, such as heart attack, stroke, diabetes, infectious diseases, whereby the winning solution is:
- Available open source
- Replicable at home in a third world country within Bio DIY settings with real life patients
- Based on sound science and economics
- Successful in diagnosis, prevention or cure
- Can be used by and benefit more than 1 million people. The more people you target, higher are your chances of winning!
When Is the Award Run?
- The 2016 run of the award has been successfully completed. The award is closed and future runs are not expected.
Terms and Conditions
- All submissions should only be in English.
- Personal data collected at the time of application and during the duration of the competition will be protected and not shared with any third party.
- Prizes ranked highest based on Cure > Prevention > Diagnosis.
- Final decision is up to grant maker, preferably after consulting with biohackers and medical communities.
- Prize money (in SGD) will be disbursed within 4 weeks of announcement of the winners.
- The award money may be used in any way the biohacker(s) deem useful to further foster the ecosystem and find solutions.
How Is the Award Funded?
Funding is provided by Croeni Foundation.
Who Is Organizing It?
- biotechin.asia (Publishing/Award organizing partner). biotechin.asia is a virtual newsroom for news and insights in the biotech and healthcare space encompassing academia, industry and startups. biotechin.asia is an online community that helps bridge the gap between academicians, industry professionals and entrepreneurs in the biotech sector.
- Croeni Foundation (Funder).