Leveraging Online Photos to Prevent Illness and Save Lives
Saving Lives with Selfies is a health challenge for automatic recognition of diseases via video footage and photos to prevent illness and death by harnessing the power of social media and tapping into existing user behaviour.
What if millions of lives could be saved through the millions of photos taken every day?
Imagine that every picture you take is automatically analysed, checked for diseases and you receive a report on your visible health markers.
Imagine that every time you make a voice or video call or post your photos on Facebook or Instagram you get to know if you are healthy or not. How? By aggregating all available visual analyses into one integrated solution to prevent diseases from becoming worse before it happens.
Saving Lives with Selfies is a first step and important component in our long-term plan to establish a “health quotient“. By monitoring biomarkers in the healthy range, an overall health quotient shall be established based on an individual’s biological or chronological change in health. Automatic testing, verified by experts on demand. This might be an invaluable and cost-effective solution not just for the affluent, but also for the underprivileged people.
How could lives and wellbeing be preserved via video, photo or voice call analysis?
- Social Media Category: How could diseases be diagnosed and prevented with photos or videos shared on social media and the internet?
- Mobile Devices Category: How could software or hardware tools be added to mobile phones or tablets, for example a DIY microscope, to help prevent more serious and less obvious health conditions?
- 1st place: SGD1,000
- 2nd – 5th place: SGD500
- 6th – 10th place: SGD100
(The prizes include both categories together.)
- March 1, 2018
- The largest number of diseases or health conditions recognized via existing technology readily available in the hands of most citizen.
- Plus points for solutions applicable in less developed countries.
- Solutions need to be open source and publicly shareable.
How to Enter
Please submit your application electronically by the deadline date by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Saving Lives with Selfies Challenge Submission”.
Your submission should clearly demonstrate and contain the proof of your working prototype from the relevant category, explain which diseases it is capable of diagnosing or preventing, and include links to its publicly shared and accessible open source plans and videos or photos on your website or your social media (where applicable).
Case studies of lives and wellbeing saved through the use of photos or mobile phones: